How To Distinguish Toxic and Non-Toxic Fungi
Garden Inspiration

How To Distinguish Toxic and Non-Toxic Fungi

Mushrooms are a type of plant that can be consumed and can even be used as a mainstay of food or medicine. However, please note that not all types of mushrooms are safe for consumption. There are several types of mushrooms that are poisonous and very dangerous if consumed by humans or animals. Basically, mushrooms can be divided into 2 types, namely mushrooms that can be consumed or edible mushrooms and also mushrooms that are poisonous or non-edible.

Edible mushrooms are widely consumed by people around the world. Fungi that are included in this type are, button mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus), ear mushrooms (Auricularia polytrica), shiitake mushrooms (Lentinula edodes), oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus ostreatus) and edible mushrooms (Volvariella volvacea).

Meanwhile, Amanita phalloides and Amanita virosa are some of the types of non-edible fungi. The Amanita phalloides mushroom is one of the most poisonous of the toadstool. Its poison can cause irritation, severe pain and damage to the eyes and skin. While the Amanita virosa fungus can damage the liver and kidneys in a short time.

So, how do you distinguish between mushrooms that are poisonous and those that are not?

there are no definite guidelines for knowing the level of toxins in a mushroom. Many people refer to the color, shape and place of growth to determine whether the fungus is fit for consumption or not. Although it is not wrong, this method cannot be trusted 100%, because later it is feared that a new type of fungus will emerge which is against the theory.

But for now most experts say that most poisonous mushrooms have quite striking colors, such as red, brown, black, dark green, blue, and other striking colors.

Apart from their striking color, poisonous mushrooms also usually have a foul odor, because they contain sulfides in them. This compound also makes insects reluctant to approach the fungus.

Here are some tips for choosing mushrooms that are poisonous and those that are not.

  • Do not take mushrooms that have a cup at the base of the stem, unless you are familiar with these types of mushrooms such as edible mushrooms and others.
  • Do not take mushrooms that smell bad and are dark brown in color, unless you are familiar with shitake mushrooms, which smell something
  • Do not take mushrooms that have not bloomed properly because the type is not known and it is difficult to distinguish which type is poisonous or not
  • Do not pick up mold that grows on animal dung piles, dirty places or places that have a smell
  • Do not eat mushrooms, which secrete sap after cutting
  • Get in the habit of bringing silver metal to test whether the mushrooms are poisonous or not. If the silver metal is rubbed on the body of the fungus and the silver metal changes color to black or blue, it is a sign that the fungus is poisonous.
  • The rice will turn yellow when the mushrooms are placed in it.

    The impact that occurs when consuming poisonous mushrooms is the emergence of several variations of symptoms such as pain in the stomach, pale face, cold sweats, nausea and even frequent vomiting, body weakness and sometimes accompanied by convulsions, dry lips, lightheaded eyes, fainting lead to death.

Therefore, naturally we can be careful when consuming mushrooms, especially when doing activities in nature. To be safe, we should be able to consume cultivated mushrooms.

Related posts

9 Ways to Take Care of Candle Pine Plants to Be Fertile and Healthy

VergieThompson

9 Must Have Garden Tools at Home

VergieThompson

Gardening Equipment You Must Have

VergieThompson
  • Partner links