Cultivation of Elephant Ears
Elephant ear ornamental plant has the scientific name Anthurium Crystallinum. Recently, there is a trend of ornamental plants including elephant ears. Let’s recognize the characteristics of this elephant ear plant, how to cultivate it and its benefits.
The characteristics of this plant are:
- Stems standing upright,
- Single leaf, leaf width reaches 15-20 cm,
- The leaves are green and oval in shape similar to elephant ears,
- The leaves are pinnate and whitish in color,
- Compound flower shape, round petals,
- Has a yellow crown
- rhizome roots,
- Can’t stand the sun.
In addition to the above characteristics, the distinctive feature of this plant is the dark green leaf color like velvet with leaf veins in the form of light green whitish veins that form a silver decorative pattern.
Here’s how to cultivate elephant ears for plant lovers or beginners who will breed this plant:
1. Identify where elephant ear plants live.
This plant is able to grow in the lowlands to high and does not require too much sunlight. This plant should not be exposed to direct sunlight. If exposed to the sun continuously, the elephant’s ear leaves will turn yellow, but if there is not enough sun the leaves tend to be weak and pale.
2. How to plant elephant ears.
The media used is a mixture of soil with manure/compost with a ratio of 1: 1. Plant the seeds in the planting medium, compact the soil around the plant so that it does not collapse then watered so that the seeds grow well.
3. Elephant ear care.
Watering is done periodically just enough. Give manure / compost at least once a month. Clean the elephant ear leaves from dirt that sticks by wiping or spraying with water.
In addition to having a function as an ornamental plant, elephant ear leaves are rich in various health benefits because the elephant ear plant has a number of substances in its stems and leaves such as saponins, flavonoids, and tannins which have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
The benefits of elephant ear plants include:
- Cure swelling in the mouth and throat,
- accelerate the aging of boils,
- Stress relievers, Treating kidney disorders and diabetes,
- Can be a relaxing drug
- Prevent infections caused by germs and bacteria and
- Can treat other skin diseases.