6 Beautiful Ornamental Plants But Poisonous

6 Beautiful Ornamental Plants But Poisonous

The flowers that are blooming to the various leaves in the yard give a comfortable feel when viewed. But behind it all there are things to watch out for. The reason is that some of these ornamental plants are poisonous and unfriendly to humans. So, what ornamental plants are even though they are beautiful but poisonous?

For most people, collecting ornamental plants is very popular during a pandemic like this. Besides being able to beautify the house, it can also be an additional income. Even so, it’s important to know the character of each plant that we will collect, from whether it has thorns, to whether it is poisonous.

Especially the poisonous ones, there are several types of ornamental plants to watch out for, here are 7 of them:

ZZ Plant (Zamioculcas Zamiifolia)

ZZ plant or dollar plant is an ornamental plant that was popular some time ago. The shape is sturdy and the leaves are lined up like money. The characteristics of this plant are its leaves are dark green, grow parallel to symmetrical size, veined, small, contain a lot of water, and look shiny.

In addition, at night, when the lights hit, these leaves seem to display a very beautiful luster.

Although beautiful, unfortunately ZZ Plant must be kept out of reach of children and pets. If swallowed, the resulting symptoms include a burning mouth sensation, swelling, irritation, vomiting, excessive salivation and difficulty breathing.

Elephant Ears

Behind the beauty of the color and shape of the leaves are charming, elephant ears store poison that is quite dangerous for living things. The leaves can cause respiratory problems because they close the air in and out. Keep elephant ears out of reach of children, because if accidentally rubbed into hands, elephant ear leaves can cause a burning sensation on the skin and extreme itching.


Wisteria is an ornamental plant that is quite popular in Japan and China, with the characteristic characteristic of having beautiful flowers and hanging down. However, the seeds are poisonous to humans. Although beautiful, this flower stores a strong toxic substance. The saponins contained in the seeds, if ingested, cause symptoms such as dizziness, vomiting, and even fainting.


This unique bell-shaped ornamental plant is dangerous to humans. It can even cause death. Its beautiful color and unique shape can attract people’s attention to play it. If swallowed, the symptoms experienced in the form of seizures, tremors, weakened pulse and heart rhythm disturbances.


Philodendron ornamental plants are quite popular and are often used as room interior decorations thanks to the beauty of their leaves. This ornamental plant is also loved by many people thanks to its easy maintenance. Although it can be placed in the house, it does not mean this ornamental plant is safe.

In fact, the philodendron is actually dangerous because it contains poison. Symptoms of poisoning due to this ornamental plant are mouth irritation, swelling, vomiting, difficulty breathing and excessive salivation.


At first glance Belladonna is similar to a tantalizing berry to eat. But don’t try to eat it. This is because belladonna contains tropane alkaloids which are toxic if consumed.

There are various effects that can occur if you accidentally consume it, such as dilated pupils, blurred vision, and hallucinations. In addition, the toxic substances contained in it can interfere with the nervous system, respiratory disorders, and excessive sweating.