Beautifying your garden and yard can be done in many ways, one of which is by planting sunflowers. Seeing rows of sunflowers in a wide garden that spreads like a yellow carpet may be one of the fantasies that makes you interested in planting this one flower. Or maybe, sunflower seeds which can also be used as snacks make you think about growing this unique and beautiful flower yourself at home. Planting sunflowers is not as difficult as imagined. Although this flower can grow meters in size up and towering. But apparently this flower can be grown independently at home to beautify your yard and garden. Here are some ways to grow sunflowers from seed to thriving :
Choose Flower Type
The first step for how to plant sunflowers that you need to pay close attention to is to determine the type of flowers you will plant. This is because there are several types of sunflowers that can grow up to meters in size. For those of you who want to plant it in the yard, of course a size that is too towering will look less suitable. So that the selection of the type of sunflower that will be planted is an important thing that you need to pay close attention to. Plant sunflowers according to your needs.
Pay Attention to Tips for Choosing a sunflower seeds
Sunflower seeds whose selection needs to be considered carefully. This is because quality seeds will definitely produce quality plants. In the selection, below are tips for choosing seeds for sunflower seeds.
- The first thing to note is to only buy sunflower seeds at stores that have good reviews to avoid the risk of poor quality seeds.
- It is important to note that the type of sunflower seeds that is often consumed is different from the sunflower seeds that will be planted. Usually for seeds, the size of the sunflower seeds will be smaller than what you consume from the package.
- Please note that each type of sunflower has a different shape and color. So it is very important to determine in advance what type of sunflower you want.
- recommend that you consult with the shop owner before you buy seeds so that the type of seed is suitable.
- Do a test planting before actually selecting sunflower seeds. The trick is to soak the sunflower seeds in water and let it sit for about 10 minutes. sunflower seeds that are not suitable for planting usually float to the surface when soaked.
Prepare the Land
After you have seeds, the next step that is important to consider in how to plant sunflowers is to start preparing the land. There are several land criteria that you need to prepare so that the conditions are able and feasible to support the growth of sunflowers so that they grow well and fertile.
- Make sure the land you build has adequate drainage. Or if not you can build a simple planting box.
- The construction of the planting box can be done by making a building of cypress wood material with a length of approximately 2.5 meters.
- Also check the pH of the soil which will be important in supporting flower development. The soil pH suitable for sunflower is slightly acidic soil with a pH between 6.0 to 7.5.
- Also make sure the land being built is exposed to direct sunlight. This is because, sunlight will affect its growth.
- Also avoid plants from winds that are too strong.
- Some places that are suitable for planting sunflowers include along the fence, behind a row of trees or maybe next to your house.
In planting, some important things you need to prepare and pay close attention to. This of course aims to support sunflowers so that they can thrive and be beautiful as we hope.There are several important things that need to be considered in the process of planting sunflowers, including:
- You can loosen the soil using a shovel to start the process.
- continue with the process of digging a hole for the seed.
- put some seeds in each hole.
- It should be noted that the sunflower blooms only once a year.
- Giving organic fertilizer in each hole after the seeds are successfully planted moisten the soil with a little water so that the flowers can grow properly.
After successfully planting sunflower seeds does not mean your task is finished there. To be able to produce sunflowers with good quality, the treatment process is a decisive step that you need to pay close attention to. Below is the process of caring for sunflower plants that need to be done :
- The process of watering flowers can be done regularly every day.
- You can do a layer of mulch on the soil surface
- Make sure you always eradicate fungi and pests to get quality sunflower plants.